Runtime error

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Pulling my hair out here lol.

I'm getting "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way" on a fresh load of windows 7 64-bit with the 32 and 64 bit versions of lmms. The event viewer says the faulting module is libportaudio-2.dll.

Can anyone help me get LMMS running?
Hi! :D

First off, questions:
1) What version of Lmms are you using?
eg. Lmms 0.4.13....Lmms 0.4.14 RC.....or Lmms 0.4.14? :geek:

2) Did you install both the 64Bit and 32 Bit on your PC? In other words, "do you have "two LMMS intallations" on your Win 64 PC?"

Before I can help you with your problem, I have to know these details first.
Thanks for replying. I'm attempting Lmms 0.4.14. I've tried both 64 and 32 bit (64 bit first) but not at the same time. I uninstalled and removed the program folder for one before installing the other.

Windows 7 x64 is all up to date and I've made sure to have the latest audio drivers installed but that didn't help.
mace268 wrote:Thanks for replying. I'm attempting Lmms 0.4.14. I've tried both 64 and 32 bit (64 bit first) but not at the same time. I uninstalled and removed the program folder for one before installing the other.

Windows 7 x64 is all up to date and I've made sure to have the latest audio drivers installed but that didn't help.
Right. Thanks for that info. Now I will try to help you step by step.
Note: Believe it or not, We get a good number of people who get this same problem.
Especially the "No Sound Problem."

Okay, let's begin dude. Check for these things and do these things...........

1) In settings, make sure you don't have any "weird" or "strange characters" in the folder paths.
eg. Asterisks, percentage signs etc.

2)If you do have do have weird symbols, remove them. Only slashes symbols eg. this / should be leading the folder paths.

3)If you still get problems, especially if you don't get any "sound," from your speakers. Chose "SDL." Not Port Audio.
Then go here for more info.............
Go to Tutorials Section: Solving No sound/Distorted sound problem by darkill.

When you said...
The event viewer says the faulting module is libportaudio-2.dll.
That made me think, the Portaudio may be the problem affecting your Lmms 64 Bit installation.

4)Oh yeah, before I go, another problem that could cause it is a "Stinky," ugly WIndows Update.
Sometimes that affects open source software.
Dang Microsoft. Grrrrrr!!

5) Make sure you installed the Lmms 0.4.14 from this Lmms Homepage. And not Lmms 0.4.14 RC version.
The Lmms 0.4.14 RC version is a "test," version. Not to be used for "actual," music making.

Hope that helps. If you're still getting problems, feel free to post again.

Bye. From BrandyStarbrite :mrgreen:
I wish I could check these things but I've never been able to get into the program to begin with. The furthest it gets is creating the user profile directories (if they don't already exist), the splash screen for a split second, then it crashes immediately with the windows error message mentioned in my original post. The libportaudio-2.dll event log error happens with the 32 bit and 64 bit, the error message is identical for both versions. Is there a different version of libportaudio-2.dll that I could try maybe? Just a thought :)
I wish I could check these things but I've never been able to get into the program to begin with. The furthest it gets is creating the user profile directories (if they don't already exist), the splash screen for a split second, then it crashes

Wooah!I think that might be it. If the User profile directories have "folder paths," try to remove any weird characters.
If not.......... :? I'm out of options.
Is there a different version of libportaudio-2.dll that I could try maybe? Just a thought
Hmmmm..............I think Lmms user, musikbear can help with that answer.
musikbear or anyone?

PS: Just a quick question here: Did you install Lmms with your "Antivirus," running? :geek:
The furthest it gets is creating the user profile directories (if they don't already exist), the splash screen for a split second, then it crashes immediately with the windows error message mentioned in my original post. The libportaudio-2.dll event log error happens with the 32 bit and 64 bit, the error message is identical for both versions.
i dont like this problem :/
but -do you have any uni-code charachters in any path or filename in the complete installation?
lmms can only handle english aschii charachters in file and path-names
..but thats most likely not it..
Is there a different version of libportaudio-2.dll that I could try maybe?
Yes there is
http://www.sendspace.com/file/q8quf2
Try this, but it is completely on your own
DO A VIRUS SCAN
RENAME IT libportaudio-2.dll
BUT DONT OVERWRITE YOU CURRENT VERSION!

lets us know if you have succes.
No odd characters in the path and there was no anti-virus running when installed. The alternate dll didn't want to load either. I don't really know what I'm talking about here but could it be a problem with a prefetch file or something?
1st link lol

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+7+This+app ... nusual+way
As for lmgtfy.com I don't think I'll go there, never heard of the site. Show me a google link and I might follow it.
no anti-virus running when installed
Thanks for clarifying this.

Sorry, I forgot to ask you this before. :?
If possible. Can you show us some screen shots of your Lmms screen.
Especially shots of your General settings folder paths. and other options.
This can help us deduce, what is causing the problem a bit further.

Other Lmms screen shot pics are welcome also.