[Solved] MIDI keyboard (Casio Px-860) doesn´t communicate properly

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello,
I am trying to connect my MIDI keyboard (Casio Px-860) to LMMS but I am experiencing some problems.

LMMS recognizes the keyboard and I can choose it as an input device, but LMMS doesn´t seem to register any incoming data. It does, however, communicate in the opposite direction so the keyboard can recieve MIDI OUT from LMMS.

I'm on a windows system. MIDI-OX recognizes the signal from the keyboard.

Does anyone have suggestions or similar problems in the past?

Thank you,

Alfred
It sounds like you're doing everything right. I have a similar Casio Digital Piano and that works fine. I can't remember any particular setup problems.

If it's showing your Casio as an input device and MIDI-Ox shows that it's correctly sending Note On/Note off commands then all I can think of is checking that the MIDI channel number your keyboard is sending on is the same channel that LMMS is expecting. You can check that on the MIDI Tab of the instrument/track you're using.

If you haven't already seen it then it's worth looking at https://lmms.io/documentation/Using_MIDI in case it gives you any more ideas.

Steve
Thanks Slipstick.

I have checked that the channels are the same and I have tried changing channels aswell.
The weird thing is that the keyboard is recieving incomming signals (from LMMS).

Could this be a problem with the USB (A-B) cable?

Alfred
There's no harm trying another cable if you have one. But I wouldn't have thought that was the problem if you're confident that MIDI-OX is showing you normal incoming MIDI signals, particular Note On/Offs. That's really all LMMS needs. BTW what LMMS instrument are you using it with ?

Can you post a picture of a MIDI-OX session showing what signals are coming in ? I'm wondering if the keyboard is sending any odd Program Change or other session messages that are confusing things.

OTOH it could be something really simple I'm just missing. I'm no expert.

Steve
Here's a MIDI-OX-log:

===> MIDI-OX Version: 7.0.2.372
===> Log Opened: Tue 09-Aug-2016 15:34:31 ===>
TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT
0000E3B9 1 -- B0 58 2F 1 --- Control Change
0000E3B9 1 -- 90 3C 2F 1 C 4 Note On
0000E474 1 -- B0 58 6B 1 --- Control Change
0000E474 1 -- 80 3C 64 1 C 4 Note Off
<=== MIDI-OX Log Closed: Tue 09-Aug-2016 15:34:45 <===

Can you see any problems? I've tried several USB-ports and also both the 32bit och 64bit versions of LMMS. Any other suggestions?

Alfred
I don't know what those "Control Change" (officially called Continuous Controller) messages are supposed to do. That CC is not defined in the MIDI standard but it seems to be sending one with every useful event. But programs usually just ignore unknown CC messages, though I don't know that level of detail about the LMMS MIDI implementation.

Can you try your keyboard with a different program to see if that works. Something like Anvil Studio would give you an idea (and it's free from http://www.anvilstudio.com/). Use View Synthesizers, MIDI + Audio devices to set it up and then see if it will play/record in there.

Sorry but I'm fast running out ideas...hope someone who know what he's doing will come along to help you.

Late edit -
And to add to the confusion I've just dug my Casio PX-350M out and for some reason that sends a similar CC message before Note On but not one before Note Off. And that works perfectly with LMMS.

Steve
I've tried it with Reaper and the online-daw, Soundtrap, and it works just fine. I'm leaning towards fate and "not ment to be" explanations... Thanks for your effort!
I really hope someone with your keyboard chimes in and explains what you need to do. I have added the mark of kb to the tittle, but i cant aid you. I do not own a kb.

One thing that Steve asked you could be important
BTW what LMMS instrument are you using it with ?
So i will repeat
what LMMS instrument are you using it with ?
I think something that needs to be considered here is the note velocity. Have you tried changing that? When you set up a MIDI instrument you have the option to manually input a velocity in LMMS, 63 might do the trick..
Problem solved!

There seems to be a problem with Casio USB Midi-drivers and 64bit OS (Windows 7, in my case). Installing another set of drivers made the day. The problem was that Casio was not too open about the problem. You would think that their website would hold the driver, but it didn´t.

Thank you for help and support!