Is LMMS Similar to FL Studio?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Some musicians have suggested that I purchase FL Studio, which costs $99-$199, not counting the extra instrument add ons, etc. I was interested in getting experience with a tool that a lot of professional musicians are using, though I'd like to save money if I can.

I have heard that LLMS has a UI design that is similar to FL Studio. Will experience in LLMS translate almost directly to FL Studio if I buy it later? How easily can song (or sound) projects be converted from LLMS to FL Studio?

Someone had claimed LLMS crashes often, though this was a while ago (http://forum.secretchronicles.de/topics/47). I'll be using it in Windows primarily, since I am using a separate program that is better supported in this OS.
You can't go pro and not spending much money.

I serious doubt fruity loops is better then lmms.

Pro in my mind is cubase or albeton. I also don't think pro musician let there pc generate sound.
They prob use real synth through midi, and other midi hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1obuYwETCzU

Fruity loops might have more stuff and options, but I have not met anybody able to convince me its better.
I am open for that discussion though.
Someone had claimed LLMS crashes often
All DAW's crash at some point of time. Some crash more than others.

Some of the old versions of Lmms, crashed alot. Sometimes Vst's would crash it.
But the new series of Lmms works way better. And crashes once in a while.
Like all other DAW's, Lmms has bugs too.
I have heard that LLMS has a UI design that is similar to FL Studio.
Well I will admit, there have been some comparisons between the UI of the two.
Will experience in LLMS translate almost directly to FL Studio if I buy it later?
Please explain in more detail, what you mean here.^ :geek:

If, you're talking about the user interfaces, both DAW's, have some/alot of differences and might take some time to get used to.
Especially, if you have grown accustomed to, or used one DAW for a long period of time.
However, when it comes to making melodies and music, that is entirely up to the user and not the software so much.
You can make nice melodies in Lmms. And you can also make nice melodies in FL Studio. :D
How easily can song (or sound) projects be converted from LLMS to FL Studio?
From what I know, you can import FL Studio projects into Lmms.
Sometimes it might give some trouble to import.
There are users on this forum, who use both softwares hand in hand.
Hopefully, they could give you some more insight on that info.

Also note, FL Studio has some of it's own exclusive internal plugins.
And Lmms has it's own exclusive internal plugins too.
Which may or may not be, compatible with each others DAW.
So, when converting projects from FL Studio to Lmms, please keep in mind that both DAW's, use their own exclusive plugins.
So if you have a melody, using a plugin, specifically built for FL Studio and you export the project file, into Lmms, obviously that FL Studio plugin is not in Lmms. So you might have to re make the sound using an Lmms plugin.

I hope you understand what I meant. This was kinda tough to write. Ha! Ha! :)
Gps wrote:I serious doubt fruity loops is better then lmms.
Both are good in their own ways. :)

I just checked out the link the original posted linked us too.
And I noticed, that the last commenter, on the bottom of that forums page, made some interesting points, comparing both software.
He pointed out some of the stuff Lmms has, that FL Studio doesn't have, and in reverse too. Ha! Ha!

Lucky lucky Lmms and FL Studio users. :)
LMMS is clearly inspired by FL, no doubt about that.
It is similar. LMMS is scaled back in comparison. LMMS uses the same basic workflow so I think you'd feel at home there.
$99 for the basic FL version is a good deal actually. Download the trial. It's fully working but you can't save the projects.
@datahead8888
First
Welcome to the forum!
I like to list all those links that could be of interest to new LMMS-users, even if you should decide to go to FLs :p so :
Heres the most important LMMS links:
LSP - dedicated site for sharing projects, presets, themes and more https://lmms.io/lsp/
LMMS homepage https://lmms.io/
The Forum - for discussion https://lmms.io/forum/
LMMS Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/makefreemusic
LMMS Soundcloud group https://soundcloud.com/groups/lmms
LMMS Wiki - documentation about the program https://lmms.io/documentation/
LMMS Google+ community http://goo.gl/CxzpNI
LMMS Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/LMMSOfficial

datahead8888 wrote: Will experience in LLMS translate almost directly to FL Studio if I buy it later?
No!
datahead8888 wrote: How easily can song (or sound) projects be converted from LLMS to FL Studio?
current not at all, but with next release you will be able to export notes. but thats it!

You have already been advised well. The only thing i would add is:
Start with lmms!
Discover if you have what it takes to make good melodies and ballanced production.
The production part can be learned, you do however need to have talent, to be able to compose!
an other thing.
I would estimate a price ~ 3-400$ investment in FLs modules and synths, before you have a package, that can be compared to the free 1.1.3 lmms.
Complacency kills. Never be satisfied, hunger for knowledge. Knowledge is power and separates the lions from the sheep. Likewise, if all you ever experience is "good", then you perhaps will never know "great" if you think that "good" is the best you will see. I see a lot of LMMS praise on these forums from people that have only ever really used LMMS (and no, trying a demo of another daw for a day doesn't count). I am seasoned in both LMMS and FL, and sometimes use Ableton. Here is my take on this thread:
musikbear wrote: I would estimate a price ~ 3-400$ investment in FLs modules and synths, before you have a package, that can be compared to the free 1.1.3 lmms.
I would say that this estimate is incorrect. LMMS has instruments hard coded into itself. while FL offers other synths that Image Line sells separately into their FL editions at a huge discount. The important bit to notice there is that these instruments are typically sold separately, and if you compare them to what is in LMMS, they offer much more in terms of pure synthesis capability. Sure, LMMS has some neat stuff in it (and is FREE), but the whole package is limiting if you are a seasoned producer. For someone starting out, I would recommend you try out demos until you find a daw's work flow you like. There is no harm in trying to make tracks in demo software, just make sure to purchase (if necessary) before trying to go commercial. Don't think that someone has to start in LMMS just to save some cash.

Back to the estimate: FL comes loaded with a standard set of FX plugins. Quite frankly, they curb stomp the LADSPA plugins included with LMMS in audio quality. They are included for free in the purchase of all FL versions (aside from the most basic and edu iirc). Notable exceptions are any instruments or plugins that are sold as stand alone VSTs, which are usually bundled in higher editions of FL. Image Line also has a lot of sales during the year, and if you sign up on their site you get a birthday discount code. I managed to purchase the Signature Edition (top edition) of FL on sale for only 147 USD, and I have free lifetime updates for all future updates as well.

To answer the overall question, FL is not similar to LMMS, but LMMS pulled some workflow ideas from FL back when LMMS started. FL is a fully commercial grade piece of software developed by a paid team of developers that do nothing but work on FL for a living. LMMS is a neat experiment that started as a free alternative to expensive daws, but with a large feature gap as it has no paid developers and all work is done by volunteers. This isn't to slam LMMS, as for being free it is very powerful.
Gps wrote: I serious doubt fruity loops is better then lmms.

Pro in my mind is cubase or albeton. I also don't think pro musician let there pc generate sound.
They prob use real synth through midi, and other midi hardware.
Deadmau5, Porter Robinson, Afrojack, Feed Me/Spor, Madeon, Seven Lions, Basshunter, Ephixa, Hellberg. All these guys used FL as a tool in their professional careers, just to name a few. FL might have a different workflow than those other two daws, but pretty much all commercial daws have the same feature set. Just different approaches to creation, as I said. As for generating sound, puhlease. Even taking digital synthesis out of the equation, FL can send midi out to hardware synths and then record their outputs into audio tracks in one go, easy as pie. I've done it before, it's pretty awesome. LMMS can't do that. It doesn't have midi out nor can it record anything, and its audio sample clip support is terrible. Continuing on the feature train, FL studio is real time safe. This is huge if you plan on performing live with it. It also has a performance mode similar to Ableton's trigger view. Its mixer is accurate to dB and it can handle much larger and more memory intensive VSTs without crashing or locking up. I could go on and on, but we only ever have so much time. I use both LMMS and FL, and while I love the workflow in LMMS, I hate the overall quality (or lack of) in a large portions of the program. The later versions of LMMS have added MUCH NEEDED features that literally every other popular daw has had for YEARS (send tracks, dynamic mixer tracks, line automation between points), but it still has a long way to go. The next steps should be focusing on the core engine and getting it RT safe, then perhaps working on cleaning up the audio output.

The only thing that is hard to synthesize virtually is the RNG factor of analog, but we are pretty damn close. Modern virtual synthesis has gotten to the point that experienced users can produce practically any sound they want with things like Massive, Serum, Sytrus, Sylenth1, Harmor, FM8, the list again goes on and on. Nothing in LMMS comes close the the synthesis capabilities of any of those listed VSTs, and that isn't just opinion or fanboyism. The most capable synth included in LMMS is Zyn and possibly Monstro.
C_H wrote:It is similar. LMMS is scaled back in comparison. LMMS uses the same basic workflow so I think you'd feel at home there.
$99 for the basic FL version is a good deal actually. Download the trial. It's fully working but you can't save the projects.
This guy gets it. Sorry about the wall of text.
I like that wall of text, so thank you. It answers a few questions, I am having for some time now.
ok sorry, i diddent think discounts and special offers could bring the prize that much down. I have only looked at the prize settings on the homepage, and i was f.i. quite unhappy with the fact that the start-offer diddent include piano-roll, and that instruments like Sytrus, also was a separate buy (this was when i last looked a.m.a)
147$ for the max-pack, is a real surprise for me.
Thank you for all of the feedback.
Please explain in more detail, what you mean here
I was interested in learning a program that translates as much as relatively possible to FL Studio experience. I was interested in FL studio for the sake of knowing a program that some musicians I know from an open source game project use. I could reevaluate these assumptions, though.
From what I know, you can import FL Studio projects into Lmms.
Is there any way to convert an LLMS project to an FL project, even if involves some intermediate format? I saw musicbear did not think it was possible; he had said only notes will be able to be exported.
So if you have a melody, using a plugin, specifically built for FL Studio and you export the project file, into Lmms, obviously that FL Studio plugin is not in Lmms. So you might have to re make the sound using an Lmms plugin.
That is a good point.
I would estimate a price ~ 3-400$ investment in FLs modules and synths
That's probably too expensive now. I'm mainly interested in writing music for retro games I create, though, so I might be able to skimp on instruments for now.
The later versions of LMMS have added MUCH NEEDED features that literally every other popular daw has had for YEARS (send tracks, dynamic mixer tracks, line automation between points), but it still has a long way to go.
Stakeout Punch, is there another free DAW you would suggest, or is a paid DAW probably the best way to go?
Start with lmms!
Discover if you have what it takes to make good melodies and ballanced production.
The production part can be learned, you do however need to have talent, to be able to compose!
an other thing.
My primary skills are in computer programming and creative writing. I basically want to be able to create something reasonable for retro games I design. It's probably not feasible to become highly proficient in all kinds of skills; becoming truly proficient in music composition would require both learning to play the piano and recognizing notes when I hear them. I'd actually like to use a program to recognize notes I hum into my microphone in order to find notes faster.

I did mess with a program called FM Tracker 2.0 in DOS a long time ago; this is some sort of composition experience, though I'm sure it will not translate well to modern music composition programs. As far as musical instrument experience, I played a cornet in band in high school.

I'd be interested in gradually upping my music composition skills for uses other than retro games over time, but this is probably 5-10 years in the future. I will probably never have as much time for music composition as for computer programming related skills; I'd also be interested in learning more about drawing character art -- it's not possible to do everything.