Getting VeSTige to run .so files

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.

Hi, noobie here, I'm a Linux user who is struggling severely to get .so files to run in LMMS, according to (https://docs.lmms.io/user-manual/instruments/vestige) VeSTige can run .so files, and yet the .so files I have moved into the lmms/plugins/vst directory don't show up! And I've tried using Carla, but that just breaks LMMS for some reason, making window ui buggy. I need help and very much do not wish to have to use wine.

Attachments

I'm not able to reproduce that issue.

I use the built-in file browser and navigate to .vst (where my *.so files are located).
There, I drag an *.so file into LMMS's song-editor, and vestige auto-loads.

I got xhip.so and helm.so to work (both synthesizers).
On the downside, there's a bug which doesn't allow the VST window to close when I click the close box.

I use an OS tool to force the window closed (usually used to force an entire program to quit to the desktop), but of course this isn't ideal.

Personally, I am using a recent "Nightly" appImage version.

I don't know how else to help except to say that sometimes *.so files can't be found unless you set their "execute" permission to true (in the "file properties" window of your desktop environment).

Tiny guy wrote: ↑
September 23rd, 2026, 2:44 pm

Hi, noobie here,

If you are new to music and DAW perhaps Rookie-guide can be for you. Link in signature.

I'm a Linux user who is struggling severely to get .so files to run in LMMS, according to (https://docs.lmms.io/user-manual/instruments/vestige) VeSTige can run .so files

Yes, but do you use the version that has this upgrade?
You need
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/releases/d ... 4.AppImage
Eg Alpha.2.
You find your version in the tittle-line of song-editor.
Let us know the outcome :)

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome Tiny guy!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480