Plugin Tab hierarchical organization & a tweak

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Hi,
The first time I saw the Plugin tab (it was 0.4.9), I just put one of the 14 plugins in the song-editor.
After using lmms for some month, I understood that some of the plugins are the most important, the others are less.

I think that if plugins were put in a smart organization more users won't un-istall the program right after having tried it.

Here it comes an example of how I think it could be:

[Main Instruments]
- BitInvader
- Organic
- TripleOscillator
- VeSTige
- Vibed
- ZynAddSubFX

[Beat Instruments]
- AudioFileProcessor
- Kicker
- Mallets

[Emulators]
- LB302
- FreeBoy
- SID

[Compatibility]
- PatMan
- Sf2 Player

Beat+Bassline editor should have a Kicker instead of a TripleOscillator. This way, new users won't have a strange welcome putting this and clicking Play.
+1 for the kick in bbline ed
Your categories are inconsistent.

How is Vestige not in the "compatibility" category but SF2 and PatMan are? And why is AFP a "beat instrument", when it plays any sample?

Here's what I think:
  • [Main instruments]
    - BitInvader
    - Organic
    - TripleOscillator
    - Vibed
    - LB302

[Samplers]
    - AudioFileProcessor
    - PatMan
    - Sf2 Player

[Percussions]
    - Kicker
    - Mallets

[Emulators]
    - FreeBoy
    - SID

[Non-native instruments]
    - VeSTige
    - ZynAddSubFX
robiby wrote:Beat+Bassline editor should have a Kicker instead of a TripleOscillator. This way, new users won't have a strange welcome putting this and clicking Play.
+1
I think synths, where applicable, should default to Piano Roll Editor and/or have the default editor as a configurable value.
Thanks for sharing your opinions.

@diiz : I just provided an example of how I think it should be. The best feature of open-source program is that all can be discussed. Moreover, I see your point.
diiz wrote:
  • [Main instruments]
    - BitInvader
    - Organic
    - TripleOscillator
    - Vibed
    - LB302 I know that LB302 is one of the main instruments of LMMS, but I think that a new user would search an emulator of the TB303 in the "Emulators" category.

[Samplers] +1 for the category
    - AudioFileProcessor
    - PatMan
    - Sf2 Player

[Percussions]
    - Kicker
    - Mallets

[Emulators]
    - FreeBoy
    - SID

[Non-native instruments] It's an ok category, but new users are not so interested in what is native of LMMS and what not. I would change the name to "external instruments"
    - VeSTige
    - ZynAddSubFX
I'm looking forward to reading your reply.

@owallgren
I didn't really understand what is your wish.
Would you put all the synth in the piano roll by default? And what do you mean by "default editor"?

~DeRobyJ
robiby wrote:@owallgrenWould you put all the synth in the piano roll by default? And what do you mean by "default editor"?
~DeRobyJ
By editor I mean Beat/Bassline or Piano Roll. If you add, for instance, a Tiple Oscillator, it will show up with a Beat/Bassline step editor which probably isn't what you'll need. A Kick drum on the other hand is more suitable for a step editor.
owallgren wrote:
robiby wrote:@owallgrenWould you put all the synth in the piano roll by default? And what do you mean by "default editor"?
~DeRobyJ
By editor I mean Beat/Bassline or Piano Roll. If you add, for instance, a Tiple Oscillator, it will show up with a Beat/Bassline step editor which probably isn't what you'll need. A Kick drum on the other hand is more suitable for a step editor.
Maybe I got it.
So you mean that when you double-click on an istrument, it will be put on the BBeditor. Well, the problem is that any instrument would be used as a beat, a bassline or any "loop": that's why I don't think there is so much to do about it: I just drag and drop instruments...
robiby wrote:Maybe I got it.
No you didn't, or my explanation was inadequate. ;)

Example:
-Open the default Beat/Baseline editor.

-Left click the squares to the right of that funky Triple Oscillator and make a beat.
-Press play.

Does it make sense to create rhythm patterns with that sound?
owallgren wrote:
robiby wrote:Maybe I got it.
No you didn't, or my explanation was inadequate. ;)

Example:
-Open the default Beat/Baseline editor.
http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/images ... editor.png

-Left click the squares to the right of that funky Triple Oscillator and make a beat.
-Press play.

Does it make sense to create rhythm patterns with that sound?
Oh I get it. Well, this can give you the reason why you see that beat editor:
Basically, the BB editor and the piano roll track are the same thing but with a different zoom.

Anyway I now get what you mean.