Creating a drum rack / sample rack in LMMS

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi,
is it possible to create a drum rack/sample rack with LMMS?

Like, having a bunch of drum samples and having each one mapped to a key on a midi controller?
Kinda like how using a drum soundfont is in LMMS, except using your own samples instead of those in a soundfont?
AFAIK there is no easy native way to do that but you can use a multi-sampler VST like TX16Wx or Grace (both Windows only). Unfortunately both of those seem to be a bit unstable in LMMS but there are plenty of others. I haven't found a good free one yet though.

Alternatively you could always build/edit your own soundfonts...it's a bit of a pain but not impossible.

Steve
slipstick wrote:AFAIK there is no easy native way to do that but you can use a multi-sampler VST like TX16Wx or Grace (both Windows only). Unfortunately both of those seem to be a bit unstable in LMMS but there are plenty of others. I haven't found a good free one yet though.

Alternatively you could always build/edit your own soundfonts...it's a bit of a pain but not impossible.

Steve
Thanks, I'll try making a soundfont. Just kinda wish an easy way existed...

EDIT: Damn, making a soundfont is way too hard.
Have you actually tried any of the free samplers? Shortcircuit2 seems o.k. here. One of them might work for you.

Steve
try
sforzando
or
linux sampler
or
tx16wx (is tested and does not work with lmms)

or Zampler//RX (http://www.zampler.de/) Tries to work as server and initiate a session. Dubious behaviour!

sfz format is more easy for creating drums kit than sf2
here an example sfz file https://github.com/rivetweb/sfz-tools/b ... erated.sfz
you need only just text editor

and of course you can put any your samples to this file
rickdeckard wrote:try ..
God input, thanks

And i can see that you are new in our forum, so-
Welcome to the forum rickdeckard! Here, For you, all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
And a few rules for posting, and using the right sub-forum :)
slipstick wrote:Have you actually tried any of the free samplers? Shortcircuit2 seems o.k. here.Steve
:) I took a look at the shortcircuit, and it does load in lmms, but..
It looks like all functionality is off.
I cant open a folder
I cant drag a sample into the sampler
It all looks like it loaded, but cant accept any samples. Eg as if its not active, in lmms.
Have you made it work, Steve?
Can you describe how to load samples, because i only get 'no sample loaded' and a big black empty 'box' in win32, nomatter if i drag samples from lmms-browser, or from windows-explorer.
I found a next to absurd post, that said to use 'shortcuts to samples' (?) So.. I tried that too, but to no avail

Can add that Grace crashes at load of the dll. so do not work now
I get .wav samples to drag in from Explorer fine (Win7 x64). Note: you drag them onto the keyboard not into the big sample window. But it doesn't like .ogg files. And you're right the LMMS My Samples browser doesn't seem to work with it at all.

I can get it to save and reload a project o.k. But I can't get saving presets to work properly. So it is a rather limited version of "working". But in terms creating a basic sample rack where you can play individual samples, drums or otherwise, from MIDI it does something.

It might help if I could find any documentation for it.

Steve
slipstick wrote: It might help if I could find any documentation for it.
Steve
Yes! that would be useful :p

But you helped me with that i had to drag into the keyboard, that work, and i then have an absurdly bulky AFP.., but thats not a sampler :?
Look at this
https://snag.gy/52LCFN.jpg
That sample lies on two different keys, but replays exactly identical. It is nothing but a AFP.. imo that has nothing to do with sampling, and i cant see the usage at all, except distributing different sounds over one keyboard, but thats a 'soundfont', not a sampler
Can you make it play the same wave-file, but in the pitch (Hz) that holds the sample?
That imo is a sampler! I have -no- idea how to accomplish that 8|
I haven't bothered about that because what we were talking about was using a multi-sampler for a drumkit or basic sample rack. And the purpose of those is to play a different sample for each key. And AFAIK there's nothing in LMMS that can do it on one MIDI track (the way all normal drum sampler VSTs work).

But if you want a sample spread along the keyboard with pitch change all you need to do is put a range in the Name and Ranges section (bottom right in your jpg). If the sample root note is say C4 you drop it on C4 then change Low to C3 and Hi to C5 it will spread over a couple of octaves and play in pitch.

So you could have 6 or 7 drums on different keys in one part of the keyboard and say a bass sound playing in pitch over a couple octaves in another part of the keyboard. Pretty versatile really. And that's what I call a multi-sampler ;).

Steve